Need a Bike? October 4th is our day to build bikes for people who have no other way to build a bike.
How it works: Every First Thursday of the Month, Lottery at 3 p.m.
The Build-a-Bike Lottery is for Denver's bike-less population. We hold a lottery drawing at 3pm SHARP on the 1st Thursday of the month. If your name is drawn, you "win" the opportunity to build a bike from the ground up, learning about all the working parts, internal mechanisms, and maintenance along the way. With the help of a volunteer you will pick out a frame that fits your body and preference, and begin making it your own. The process will probably take at least two hours, depending on the type of repairs, availability or tools, and experience of your mechanic.
- Build a bike is for people who do not already have a bike that we can fix, or another way to get a bike.
- There will be no Fix-A-Bike assistance on this day. Other than patch a flat. No digging for parts either.
- Your Build-A-Bike may take longer (more than one day even) if the pin in the chain breaker is bent or we are out of glue and patches.
- We usually choose 10 names on B-A-B Lottery Day. Sometimes as many as 35 people enter their names in the drawing. Please consider the odds before hiking across town. (And tell your friends to do the same.)
- It is almost always easier to Fix-A-Bike at Derailer than it is to Build-A-Bike. Check out the Other Places to Get a Bike page.